Edwardian-Inspired Plaid Women's Cycling Ensemble

An Edwardian cycling ensemble I made earlier in 2017. The cycling shorts/bloomers and waistcoat are the items for this ensemble that I made, and the rest of the outfit components are made up of items I have in my wardrobe.
The pattern for the waistcoat is a menswear pattern from Simplicity that I adapted to my measurements; I learned a lot of new techniques making the waistcoat, such as welt pockets, buttonholes and using a lining. 
The cycling bloomer pattern is from a steampunk Simplicity pattern in my collection, made wider, with cuffs, and a solid waistband rather than one that has an elastic casing. 
Both are made from a tweed woolen fabric I picked up in America at a JoAnne's, but the waistcoat has a polyester lining and a patterned cotton back, as I could not find anything better locally.
It is not a historically-accurate look, more of an inspired outfit, as originally I was going to use the items for a boystyle Lolita/ouji coordinate. However, I think it is good for a first attempt at a waistcoat, and it definitely has a flavour of the era.
I could style this again, with a handmade shirtwaist and a tailored jacket for a more authentic look; I may take better photos once those components are done, and post them here.


Victorian-Inspired Romantic Mourning Child's Dress

Dress handmade and designed by me, and headdress by Pina Sweetcollection and shoes by Montreal. The dress is made from black cotton and lace from the local market, patterned and adapted from an old "Alice in Wonderland" pattern to have a young Victorian child look and a touch of the funereal. As well as a Victorian-inspired costume, it also doubles as a Gothic Lolita dress, as I paired it with Lolita accessories for this photoshoot. 


1900s Maude's Summer Edwardian Day Dress Design

Design for Maude's Summer Edwardian Day dress using promarkers, pencils and biro.


1900s Maude's Big Summer Hat

Made from a Michael's straw hat base, and embellished with net tulle and flowers from IKEA.

1900s Maude's Summer Day Dress

Here's the completed project with bodice, skirt, belt and hat. My hair is in a Gibson Girl hairstyle and I've accessorised with gloves.

Mostly sewn by machine and with polyester fabric, so not historically accurate, but pretty! I'm really pleased with this costume and it went together relatively easily.

On the sewing blog.


1790s-1800s Spotted Gold Open Robe Design

The design for my 1790s open robe, using promarkers and biro/fineliner. 


1790s Chemise en Robe Design

Here is the design for my 1790s open robe; it has a slightly more 1770s-80s silhouette than the dress that I made, and is accessorized with a black taffeta sash and black ribbons. I used promarkers and fineliners to draw this.


Ellie Morris is a 17 year old studying Art and Design in college, with the hopes of someday working in costume design for film and theater, as well as making bespoke historical garments for special occasions. She is also a published author of historical and romantic fiction, and When the Summer Ends is her first novel. Here is Miss Morris's online costume and design portfolio, which in the upcoming years will hopefully be filled with historical costumes and sketches!


Please contact me at if you have any inquiries.